Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Olivia Reads!

For those that don't know, Olivia just barely turned four the end of February.  She has been attending Children's Discovery Center this year which is Montessori.  We have loved her being there.  There are kids at all levels in her class which is what we love.  There is no pressure, but if kids are ready, they move on.  We have intentionally put no pressure on her.  I mean she was 3 and in pre-kinder.  I knew she would have another year of pre-kinder so I figured she has plenty of time.  We do all the normal stuff like reading at bedtime but other than that, I take my teacher hat off when we get home.  So I was so surprised when she came home and said, "Mommy, tonight I am going to read you a bed-night story!"  Okay, I figure she is going  to "read the pictures" right?  OMG!  I was so thrilled when I heard her read this book to me.  Roger was mildy impressed, but he was like, "Is that really THAT hard?"  Um Yes!  Yes it is.  I teach 1st grade and have had countless kids that CAN'T do this yet.  She is using strategies that I teach kids to do year after year and she is already doing them.  Yes, my friends, this was a very proud moment for both the mommy in my and the teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment