Saturday, August 3, 2013

Finding Your Center

Spoiler Alert!  If you have not watched the movie "The Rise of the Guardians" and plan to, then stop reading because I will be spoiling part of the movie in this post.  It is a great movie - Highly recommend it.  If you haven't seen it, close this post, go watch and then come back to this post.  Here is the trailer:


Okay, so obviously the premise of the movie is that there are these "Guardians" that protect all the children of the world.  These guardians are chosen by the "Man in the Moon".  And he chooses these guardians based upon what they are made of or rather what is in their "center".  So Jack Frost is a newly chosen guardian and Santa and the rest of them are curious about WHY Jack Frost would be chosen.  What's in his center?  So Santa asks him and Jack is lost.  He too wonders what is in his center and why the Man in the moon would choose him.  Santa goes on to explain (through the use of some Russian nesting dolls) that he (Santa) is jolly, mysterious, fearless and caring, but at the core of his center he is full of wonder.  It's what makes Santa, Santa.  So Jack must figure out what is in his center.  Kind of a deep concept for a kid, right.  I mean how many of US really know what's in our center?

So fast forward a few weeks later.  We are riding in the car, just Olivia and I.  All of a sudden, out of the blue we have this conversation:

O - Remember that movie about the guardians?
Me - yes
O - Remember how Jack had to find his center?
Me - yes
O - I know what's in my center.
Me - Stunned in silence. - You do?
O - Yes.  I thought about it and I know.
Me - So what's in your center? (Still doubting that she actually got this concept and kind of expecting her to say blood and bones or something silly)
O - Helping.  I really like helping people.  That's what's in my center.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as my 5 year old daughter declared what is in her center.  And she couldn't be more right.  She is the most caring and helpful person I know.  She gets such satisfaction from helping anyone that will let her.  I'm a pretty proud momma:)

No comments:

Post a Comment