Friday, September 21, 2012

Time for a Change

So, here's the thing. Juliana has a very hard time staying awake through out a day.  Part of that is due to the fact that she takes a large amount of seizure meds that do cause drowsiness and the other part is simply put she has Rett Syndrome; and everything she does requires so much work that even the most menial of tasks for her takes so much.  So much physically and so much mentally.  So, what do you do?  Well, initially we tried Ritalin, but this is what it did to my girl.
 And for those that know my girl, this is not her!  She is the most mellow, happy-go-lucky kind of girl.  The girl in this picture is a very agitated, impatient and sad girl. 
So we said goodbye to Ritalin and hello to a new type of drug (Thank you so much Dr. Djukic).  And I am so happy to say that our girl is back! It's so sad to say that I hadn't realized that Juliana stopped laughing the whole time she was on Ritalin.  The momement I heard that contagious giggle come out of her I realized just how long it had been since we heard it.  I missed her so much and I am so glad to have my giggle box back.  She is still struggling with staying awake all day at school, but I'll take a giggles anytime over grouchy girl.  The rest we will figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment