Friday, June 15, 2012

Don't Fweak Out!

So, what do you get when you cross a big time perfectionist with a major klutz?  This is not a set up for a joke.  It is my daughter Olivia.  She holds such high standards for herself that she has completely imposed upon herself.  You can often find her blowing a gasket if she gets out of the lines while coloring, or getting upset with herself if she can't get all the words to a new song right, she was even stressed out at school about some day learning sight words.  Like, really? Sight words??? You are four years old - plenty of time for sight words.  Anyway, saying all of that she is also a MAJOR klutz.  She is a bull in a china shop that will trip over air.  And as you can imagine, her reaction when said "accidents" happen is a complete "FREAK OUT"!  If you've ever seen her spill her a drink or food or whatever you would think that we physically abuse her by the way she reacts.  I have told her ONE MILLION times, It's no big deal.  We just have to clean it up.  But every time (and I mean millions of times) she has an "accident" it's a major melt down/freak out.  So I have been really emphasizing and talking a lot to her about controlling herself in these situations.  And before she starts screaming and crying, stop and ask yourself, "is this a big deal?"  So finally my efforts paid off today.  Olivia was already up and I was heading in the shower.  I left her in the kitchen with a full cup of juice and toast and Nick Jr. playing.  (You can see where this is going.)  As soon as I get undressed and ready to go in the shower I hear a blood curdling scream that sounded like the tv fell on her head or the kitchen knives fell off the counter and stabbed her a million times.  So of course I run out in a towel to see what major catastrophic event has gone on in my kitchen, only to find Olivia (completely fine and in tact) standing in front of an overturned glass of apple juice on the counter along with an apple juice water fall cascading to the floor.  Are you kidding me?  So she starts screaming "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!!!!!"  And I said, "Do you know how much you just scared me?!  I thought something terrible had happened to you and all you did was spill some juice!!!!!!  What do I always tell you when you spill something?"  I was looking for "it's ok sweetie, or no big deal" but she dried her tears and said, "Don't FWEAK out!"  Amen sister.  Don't FWEAK OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment