Saturday, November 12, 2011

Uncle Alfons & Kayla's Geburtstag

Yes, that's me trying out all my new German words.  I feel like I'm making amazing progress with my German Language Acquisition, but sometimes I just have German words and phrases swimming in my brain and I don't know what they mean.  But, I digress.  This post is not about my GLA (German Language Acquisition) but about Alfons & Kayla's birthday!  So here we go. . . .

We started off the day with a little mani-pedi. Just Monika, Melissa, Kayla and I.  So, not to be stereotypical, but we went to a predominantly Vietnamese nail salon with my non-English speaking aunt.  So in their limited English they are asking Monika questions (are you getting a mani and a pedi, what color etc) to which Monika of course stared blankly.  So I intervened and just told her, she doesn't speak English, she is from Germany.  To which she (the Vietnamese Nail Salon owner) replies, "Oh, I speak German!  I live there for 5 years!"  So, no more language barrier and happy mani! I should have known, her name is Heidi!
 Here is Melissa getting her dogs done:)
 Back at the house - Alfons and Teresa
 David working on the queso.
 Melissa on tacos!
 And pretty Kayla helping out all over!
 They are so grown!
 And here is my silly girl.
 Here is the boss making sure everyone does their job.
 After tacos, Cake and Ice Cream of course!!!!

 Since it was both their birthday cake, and quite a difference in the amount of candles, we decided to go with the only German word we were able to spell with the candle letters C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E that I had left over from another birthday party.

 She couldn't wait for the ice cream.  Blue Bell - I love you!!
 Juju is eye-balling the cake!

 Then after cake, it was time for Wii Party Dance Off!  First up. . . .
 And Monika was such a sport getting down with Britney Spears - Oops I did it again!
 And after the kids went to bed, the big kids went out for a beer and some roasted marshmallows.

 Then, the funniest thing happened.  Alfons proceeded to lecture us all on how the get the perfect golden brown marshmallow.  You can't let it down too low in the flame.  You have to keep it at a perfect angle and patience is crucial of course and. . . . . . . before he knew it, his marshmallow was completely on fire and black as the night.
 Oh, well.  It was good anyway:)

1 comment:

  1. Great they could celebrate their birthdays together. Really fun pictures.

    ReplyDelete